Corrections Officer Trainee
New Hampshire Department of Corrections - Concord, New Hampshire
Oct 31, 2022
- Application Deadline:
- Dec 31, 2022
- Entry Level:
- $$44,948.80 annual
++SCOPE OF WORK:++ To enforce discipline, orderly behavior and the confinement of incarcerated inmates to provide the appropriate level of public and institutional safety. Also to perform duties required of assigned posts and/or programs.
· Observes and controls resident movement and behavior to preclude escape or violent incidents.
· Supervises the operation of an inmate housing unit when only officer on duty and in order to maintain the order and discipline of the inmates.
· Performs security tasks such as inmate body searches, property and ground searches to assure public and institutional safety.
· Reports information on residents for administrative purposes, including disciplinary and classification hearings and judicial hearings so that these boards have complete information for their decision.
· Transports inmates to and from designated areas to ensure orderly movement of inmates.
· Performs work activities which require strenuous activities such as frequent reaching, bending, lifting as well as fine manual dexterity of coordination in the use of equipment such as firearms, handcuffs and in applying physical restraints, to control and observe inmates and the work environment to ensure institutional safety and security.
Education: High school diploma or high school equivalency credential.
Experience: No previous work experience required; however, experience in correctional work such as military police is desirable.
License/Certification: Must possess a valid driver's license.
Must be at least eighteen (18) years of age.
For appointment consideration, the Department's selection process requires that candidates successfully participate in a public safety examination to determine eligibility to work in a correctional environment. Candidates must also pass a job-related physical agility test designed to measure the ability to perform physically demanding tasks. This test will consist of the Cooper Institute of Aerobics Research Standards, including 1 1/2 mile run, sit ups and push-ups.
Candidates receiving conditional offers of employment must pass background checks, a prescribed medical examination, polygraph examination and drug testing.
Candidates must be willing to accept employment at any one of the Department of Correction locations and assigned activities.
Selected candidates will be required to participate and complete training at the Corrections Academy as scheduled, including qualifications with a pistol and rifle and must obtain certification as a Corrections Officer, during their probationary period.
RECOMMENDED WORK TRAITS: Knowledge of individual and group behavior. Ability to work effectively with residents and to make sound judgments. Ability to read, write and communicate effectively. Ability to react quickly and calmly in emergency situations. Ability to understand and follow written and oral instructions. Ability to observe and report changes in resident personality, demeanor, attitude and degree of program participation. Ability to cope with crisis situations, including restraint of residents using physical force as needed. Ability to use firearms and, when necessary, to exercise deadly force. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees. Must be willing to maintain appearance appropriate to assigned duties and responsibilities as determined by the agency appointing authority.
++RECRUITMENT INCENTIVE: This position is eligible for a one-time $10,000 recruitment incentive. Candidate must++
++agree to a 1-year commitment to remain with the NH Department of Corrections in a full-time Corrections Officer position.++
- Age: 18
- Education: High School Diploma
- Experience: No previous work experience is required