Regional Communications Operator I
Broward County Sheriff's Office - Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Oct 6, 2021
- Application Deadline:
- Dec 17, 2021
- Entry Level:
- $37,947.82 annual
- Top Pay:
- $72,095.61 annual
Candidates who recently applied and were unsuccessful with the CritiCall assessment are encouraged to reapply.
- High school diploma or equivalent. Evaluation of a foreign high school diploma may be required.
- One (1) year of documented experience and/or training involving clerical, data entry, public contact and/or customer service work preferred.
- Experience in a police and/or fire rescue emergency dispatch center, police aide work, explorer program and/or college level course work in criminal justice, telecommunications or related field preferred.
- Graduates holding a Department of Health Telecommunicator Certification preferred.
- An equivalent combination of education, training, and experience may be considered.
++Special Requirements ++Continued employment contingent upon the ability to participate in and satisfactorily complete within the initial probationary period the established in-house training and national certifications outlined herein that provide essential knowledge and skill in the communications dispatch function; successful completion of radio training on one (1) primary police dispatch radio group or one (1) primary fire rescue dispatch radio group required.
Employees in this classification are scheduled for shift assignments, which will include weekends, holidays, and extended emergency activation events (ie. hurricanes). Employees must engage in flexible work assignments as directed in order to meet probationary standards and requirements.
Employees must acquire and maintain active certifications (where applicable) for the following requirements:
- FCIC/NCIC Terminal Access Certification
- Crisis Intervention Team and Work Ethic Courses
- IAED Emergency Dispatch Certifications (EFD, EPD, and EMD)
- APCO Public Safety Telecommunicator Certification
- APCO Fire Service Communications Certification
- CPR Certification
- ICS 100, 200, 700, Certifications
Under the direction of a Communications Duty Officer, employees in this classification receive, triage, and process information coming into a Public Safety Answering Point (PSAP) within the Broward County Sheriff's Office. Employees in this classification will interrogate, inform, refer, and instruct callers reporting emergency and non-emergency complaints for police, fire, medical, and other public safety services received via telephone and other communications devices. This is an entry level position in which emphasis is placed on training the incumbent for continued advancement through the Communications Operator classification series. Employees receive classroom instruction that will introduce call interrogation techniques, International Academy of Emergency Dispatch (IAED) protocols, and the Computer Aided Dispatch (CAD) software. Classroom training will be followed by on-the-job training with a Communications Training Officer prior to being released to work independently.
- Age: 18
- Education: High Diploma or Equivalent
- Experience: None Needed
Deputy Roderick Jackson