Brown County Sheriff's Department - Green Bay, Wisconsin
Apr 5, 2021
- Application Deadline:
- Apr 23, 2021
- Entry Level:
- $$21.55 hourly
Performs work involving the care, safety, custody and detention of adults and juveniles in the Jail and Juvenile Detention Center; provides a positive rehabilitative influence to all inmates; insures compliance with all applicable state and federal laws; and acts within the parameters of the Brown County Jail and Juvenile Detention Center policies and procedures.
Effectively uses physical force in order to control inmates that are not compliant with staff directives. Controls the behaviors of inmates in order to prevent disturbances, damage to the facility, assaults, escapes, death and/or great bodily harm. Physical conditioning is required due to the environment in which they work. The Correctional Officer must be able to defend themselves and others from physical harm. They are either fit for duty or they are not able to function within the environment. Effectively performs searches on individuals, cells and areas to prevent the introduction of contraband (weapons, drugs, etc.) into the facility. Gathers evidence; takes crime scene photos, records statements of victims and witnesses in order to build criminal cases on incidents within the facility. Performs rescue operations in the case of a fire emergency. These duties would include the following: donning SCBA; conducting searches in a smoke/fire filled environment to remove inmates from the area of danger and fire suppression with either extinguishers or hoses. ++ADDITIONAL DUTY REQUIREMENTS:++ Obtains information from the public and prisoners for completion of forms, documents and records associated with the booking process. Collects personal property including money; issues receipts and accounts for monies; itemizes and stores until inmate is released. Performs accurate data input for the documentation of records within the jail. Performs searching of records and miscellaneous filing as it pertains to the Booking and release function. Reviews and enters Court documentation into the system to ensure accurate information. Ability to follow up with the Courts/Court Officers on issues found in the court documentation. Answers inquiries regarding departmental policies or regulations or refers inquiries to the proper department or official. Obtains photos and fingerprints of incarcerated persons as directed by statutory requirements. Maintains security and discipline in the Jail and Juvenile Detention Center. Intervenes to stop disturbances by reasoning with or subduing adult and juvenile inmates. Supervises the delivery of meals and issues cleaning materials and other supplies when necessary. Searches adult and juvenile inmates for contraband, weapons or dangerous materials. Maintains surveillance of all inmates in all areas of the Jail and Juvenile Detention Center. Administers first aid and secures medical assistance for inmates when required. Assigns, supervises and inspects work of adult and juvenile inmates engaged in the cleanliness of the facility. Investigates illegal or criminal activities in all areas of the Jail and Juvenile Detention Center. Supervises movement of inmates. Distributes inmate medication and keeps accurate records of such disbursements pursuant to the Jail Policy and Procedure Manual. Conducts searches and daily inspections of living quarters. Protects adult and juvenile inmates from peer intimidation and physical confrontations. Conducts routine inspection and maintenance of Jail equipment. Collects DNA samples from inmates as assigned. Performs all other duties as directed by competent authority.
Minimum Qualifications Required
++Education and Experience:++Associates Degree in Correctional Science, Police Science or Sociology, or a Bachelors Degree from an accredited university or college in a related field preferred; or any equivalent combination of education, training and experience which provides the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities.No post education required.
++Licenses and Certifications:++ Jail Certification or ability to obtain Jail Certification within 1 year of employment. First Aid, A.E.D. and C.P.R. Certification or ability to obtain Certifications within 1 year of employment.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to defend themselves and others from physical assault.
- Ability to physically control the behavior of combative/assaultive inmates.
- Ability to recognize dangerous behaviors prior to a physical assault.
- Ability to work in confined spaces.
- Ability to quickly remove an inmate from a dangerous situation and in case of fire or other emergency, supervise the immediate evacuation of inmates.
- Knowledge of department policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of and ability to utilize a computer and required software.
- Knowledge of federal and state laws which apply to jails and secure detention facilities and of related care, treatment and security programs.
- Knowledge of techniques in inmate control and precautionary measures used in escorting and supervising inmate work details.
- Knowledge of rules and regulations governing the secure detention facility including Wisconsin Department of Corrections Administrative Codes 350, 348 and 346.
- Knowledge of inmate behavior, interpersonal relations and social interactions.
- Knowledge of methods and practices of jail security.
- Ability to serve as a positive role model for children and provide effective direction and supervision.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff and the public.
- Ability to adapt to the changing procedures as they apply to the different sections and different classifications of inmates within the jail.
- Ability to communicate and respond effectively to both oral and written instructions.Ability to work the required hours of the position.
- Age: 18
- Education: High school diploma
- Experience: None