Hennepin County - Minneapolis, Minnesota
Sep 14, 2020
- Application Deadline:
- Sep 28, 2020
- Entry Level:
- $$59,479.15 annual
- Top Pay:
- $$83,047.17 annual
++OPENING DATE:++ 09/11/20
++CLOSING DATE:++ 09/28/20 12:00 AM Central Time
++JOB TYPE:++ Full-time
++LOCATION:++ Minneapolis and surrounding suburbs, Minnesota
++DEPARTMENT:++ Sheriff's Office
As a Sheriff's Deputy, you will have the opportunity to expand your public safety experience, through training, promotion, and opportunities for specialized law enforcement assignments. The Hennepin County Sheriff's Office mission is to serve and protect all in the community by furthering equal justice, safety, and wellness. We are dedicated to serving the community with transparency, responsiveness, and compassion. If you are a critical thinker and have great adaptability skills, then this position may be a good fit for you. Location and hours: This position requires working a flexible schedule including days, evenings, overnights, weekends, holidays, and is subject to emergency call back 24 hours a day, 7 days per week.
About this position type: This is a full-time, benefit earning position.
The anticipated start date is 2/1/2021. In this position, you will:
- Maintain security and direct activities within the Adult Detention Division and Court Security Division.
- Assist in search and rescue operations and/or respond to public safety emergencies.
- Participate in investigations, make arrests, and enforce the criminal code.
- Enforce traffic laws including the applicable laws governing water and snowmobile safety enforcement.
- Transport prisoners and others in the care of the court.
- Maintain standards of order within Hennepin County's courtrooms.
- Participate in both civil and warrant service.
Need to have:
- Licensure or eligible to be licensed as a peace officer by hire date in the state of Minnesota by the Minnesota Board of Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST).
- A valid driver's license and the ability to obtain a Hennepin County driver's permit.
- The ability to work a flexible schedule including day, evening, overnight, on-call, holiday, and weekend hours.
- The ability and willingness to work in a position that may involve the possibility of physical confrontation.
- Possess no convictions of a felony or other criminal conviction as outlined in the MN POST Board rules.
- Pass each of the following exam components:
- Background investigation.
- Physical abilities test.
- Psychological evaluation.
- Medical examination.
- Drug screening.
- Firearms evaluation.
Nice to have:
- Critical thinking skills.
- Attention to detail.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
About the department: The Hennepin County Sheriff's Office serves the county's 1.2 million residents. State law mandates most of the sheriff's office duties, including managing the county jail and providing security to the district court, and patrolling the waterways in the county.
About Hennepin County: Hennepin is the largest county government organization in Minnesota. Our employees work every day to improve the health, safety and quality of life for our residents and communities. All of our jobs align to one or more of our overarching goals -- that Hennepin County residents are healthy, protected and safe, self-reliant, assured due process, and mobile.
Our employees receive a combination of generous benefits and positive workplace culture not found at other organizations. This includes meaningful work that impacts our community, competitive pay, work-life balance, a variety of benefits and opportunities to grow. Learn more at www.hennepin.us/employees.
Hennepin County envisions an organization where our commitment to diversity and the reduction of disparities is fundamental in providing excellent service to our community.
Your future. Made here.
The list created from this job announcement will be used to fill current and future Deputy Sheriff vacancies. Invitations to interview will be based upon an assessment of education and experience.
This position is internally classified as a Sheriff, Deputy. Click here to view the job classification specification.
- Age: No age requirement
- Education: See Additional Requirements
- Experience: See Additional Requirements
Need to have:
Licensure or eligible to be licensed as a peace officer by hire date in the state of Minnesota by the Minnesota Board of Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST).
A valid driver's license and the ability to obtain a Hennepin County driver's permit.
The ability to work a flexible schedule including day, evening, overnight, on-call, holiday, and weekend hours.
The ability and willingness to work in a position that may involve the possibility of physical confrontation.
Possess no convictions of a felony or other criminal conviction as outlined in the MN POST Board rules.
Pass each of the following exam components:
Physical abilities test.
Nice to have:
Critical thinking skills.
Attention to detail.
Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
Hennepin County HR Service Center