Sheriff's Detention Deputy
Hennepin County - Minneapolis, Minnesota
Oct 11, 2021
- Application Deadline:
- Mar 31, 2022
- Entry Level:
- $$50,603.70 annual
- Top Pay:
- $$75,905.56 annual
++OPENING DATE:++ 10/08/21
++CLOSING DATE:++ Continuous
++JOB TYPE:++ Full-time
++LOCATION:++ Downtown Minneapolis, Minnesota
++DEPARTMENT:++ Sheriff's Office
The Hennepin County Sheriff’s Office is seeking Detention Deputies to join the team! As a Detention Deputy you will utilize your interpersonal communication skills to supervise detainees in a pretrial detention facility. You will also be responsible for maintaining security of the facility and ensuring the safety of all inmates, staff members and visitors.
The Hennepin County Sheriff’s Office is dedicated to serving the community with transparency, responsiveness, and compassion.
Location and hours: This position is at the Hennepin County Public Safety Facility located at 401 South 4th Ave, Minneapolis, MN 55415 in downtown Minneapolis. The position requires working a flexible schedule including days, evenings, overnights, on-call, weekends, and holidays.
*Starting pay is based on experience.
This position is recruitment critical and eligible for an employee referral bonus. Current Hennepin County employees who refer candidates may be eligible for a $1,000.00 referral bonus.
About the position type: This is a full-time benefit-earning position. Candidates who are offered a Detention Deputy position will be required to successfully pass a two month training academy prior to being independently assigned in the jail. The anticipated start dates for the academies are 4/25/22, 8/1/22, and 11/7/22. The probation period for this position is one year.
Starting September 1, 2021, all new job offers are conditional based on the candidate being fully vaccinated for COVID-19. “Fully vaccinated” means 14 days after receiving the second dose in a two-dose vaccination series approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) on a full or emergency-use basis, or 14 days after receiving a single-dose vaccine approved by the FDA on a full or emergency-use basis. After a conditional job offer is made, the candidate must show proof of full vaccination prior to their start date. A COVID-19 vaccination card from the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), a vaccination record from your doctor’s office or a personal digital vaccination record constitutes sufficient “proof.” The candidate must also attest they are vaccinated by completing a form on the first day of employment. Reasonable accommodations to this vaccination requirement will be considered upon request by a candidate for medical or religious reasons as required by applicable law.
In this position, you will:
- Fingerprint, secure, transport, and release inmates.
- Conduct property and physical searches.
- Supervise custody of inmates and visitation.
- Staff security control rooms.
- Conduct regular security checks of the facility and housing units.
- Ensure inmate pretrial rights, arrange court appearances, and verify disposition of inmates returned from court.
- Respond to emergency situations and perform first aid when necessary.
Need to have:
- You must have one of the following:
- Two or more years of experience in corrections, law enforcement, public safety, and/or security.
- Two or more years of other approved work experience including supervisory, teacher/trainer, and/or lead worker roles or customer service in guest/customer facing positions in hospitality, retail, travel, food and beverage, or sales.
- Two or more years of military duty.
- Two or more years of college or technical college coursework (a minimum of 60 semester/ 90 quarter credits).
- Pass a comprehensive medical examination prior to appointment to ascertain candidate's ability to perform essential job functions. The general medical requirements include, but are not limited to:
- Uncorrected vision of at least 20/100 in each eye.
- Corrected vision of at least 20/40 in each eye.
- Meeting normal hearing standards.
- Must not have any respiratory impairment.
- The ability to follow the Hennepin County ++Sheriff's Office Appearance Policy++.
Nice to have:
- Basic knowledge of computers/computer programs (e.g. Microsoft Office and Outlook or another similar email system).
- Ability to have frequent direct inmate contact with the possibility of a physical use of force confrontation.
About the department: The Hennepin County Sheriff's Office serves the county's 1.2 million residents. State law mandates most of the sheriff's office duties, including managing the county jail, providing security to the district court, and patrolling the waterways in the county.
The Sheriff's Office also runs specialized initiatives like Criminal Information Sharing and Analysis (CISA), Violent Offender Task Force (VOTF), Crime Scene Investigation, Criminal Investigation, Community Outreach and Employee Wellness. The mission of the Hennepin County Sheriff's Office is: Serving and protecting all in our community by furthering equal justice, safety and wellness.
About Hennepin County: Hennepin is the largest county government organization in Minnesota. Our employees work every day to improve the health, safety and quality of life for our residents and communities. All of our jobs align to one or more of our overarching goals -- that Hennepin County residents are healthy, protected and safe, self-reliant, assured due process, and mobile.
Our employees receive a combination of generous benefits and positive workplace culture not found at other organizations. This includes meaningful work that impacts our community, competitive pay, work-life balance, a variety of benefits and opportunities to grow. Learn more at ++www.hennepin.us/employees++ .
Hennepin County envisions an organization where our commitment to diversity and the reduction of disparities is fundamental in providing excellent service to our community.
Your future. Made here.
This posting will be used to fill current and future full-time, benefit-earning Detention Deputy vacancies. These positions are not licensed peace officer positions.
This position is internally classified as a Sheriff's Detention Deputy. Click ++here++ to view the job classification specification.
Applicants must have no felony convictions and must successfully complete a drug test, extensive background investigation, and a pre-employment physical and psychological assessment prior to employment. Applications will be forwarded to the hiring supervisor on an on-going basis until the vacancy is filled. Invitations to interview will be based on an assessment of education and experience.
- Age: No Age Requirement
- Education: See Additional Requirements
- Experience: See Additional Requirements
Need to have:
You must have one of the following:
Two or more years of experience in corrections, law enforcement, public safety, and/or security.
Two or more years of other approved work experience including supervisory, teacher/trainer, and/or lead worker roles or customer service in guest/customer facing positions in hospitality, retail, travel, food and beverage, or sales.
Two or more years of military duty.
Two or more years of college or technical college coursework (a minimum of 60 semester/ 90 quarter credits).
Pass a comprehensive medical examination prior to appointment to ascertain candidate's ability to perform essential job functions. The general medical requirements include, but are not limited to:
Uncorrected vision of at least 20/100 in each eye.
Corrected vision of at least 20/40 in each eye.
Meeting normal hearing standards.
Must not have any respiratory impairment.
The ability to follow the Hennepin County Sheriff's Office Appearance Policy.
Nice to have:
Basic knowledge of computers/computer programs (e.g. Microsoft Office and Outlook or another similar email system).
Ability to have frequent direct inmate contact with the possibility of a physical use of force confrontation.
Department of Human Resources Service Center