Thurston County Sheriff's Office - Olympia, Washington
Sep 19, 2022
- Application Deadline:
- Sep 12, 2030
- Entry Level:
- $Entry Level monthly
- Academy Graduate:
- $Criminal Justice Training Centre monthly
- Lateral Transfer:
- $Lateral monthly
- Top Pay:
- $6459.00 monthly
- Receives, searches, books, fingerprints, and photographs incoming prisoners. Issues jail uniforms, records and stores personal effects, and houses inmates by appropriate classification.
- Maintains jail security by observation of inmates, pat searches, strip searches, and cell searches. Maintains orderly conduct and discipline.
- Assures that inmates have access to basic needs for hygiene and welfare.
- Prepares and delivers prisoners to court, doctors' offices, hospitals, and other locations. Transfers prisoners to and from jail and court. Releases prisoners by established procedures or bail, court order, or other authority.
- Logs court disposition of cases. Writes reports and maintains files.
- Screens and processes visitors. Processes personal property brought to inmates and released.
- Assigns and directs work of trustees. Distributes meals to all inmates, assuring that all materials are removed from cells after meals.
- Advises superior when medical attention appears necessary and maintains physical safety of prisoners. Administers prescribed medications.
- Monitors video and audio surveillance equipment and other job-related equipment.
- Receives incoming telephone calls to the department, relaying them as appropriate. Communicates appropriately on the telephone.
- Attends training and shift meetings. Applies job-related knowledge, skills, and abilities on duty.
- Responds to and assists with major or minor disturbances, medical crisis situations, escapes, fire, and other natural disasters.
- Prepares reports, memos, log book entries, and unit rosters. This is accomplished through handwritten, typed, and computer terminal entries.
- Performs related work as required.
- Must have a High School Diploma or G.E.D.
- Must be a US Citizen or lawful permanent resident with the ability to read, write, and speak the English language as required by RCW 41.14.100.
- Minimum age of 21 years at time of appointment.
- Must hold or obtain valid Washington State Driver's license.
- Must meet Thurston County Civil Service Pre-Employment Screening Standards.
- Acceptable scores on Civil Service skills examinations.
- Must meet the Sheriff's Office Employment Standards and be willing to submit to and pass a thorough background investigation to include a polygraph examination and psychological evaluation.
- Must meet the current physical standards adopted by the Sheriff's Office.
- Age: 21 and over
- Education: High School/ GED
- Experience: None Required
This position is:
- Represented by a Union
- Eligible for benefits
- Eligible for overtime under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)
HOW TO APPLY:
In order to be considered for employment, interested individuals must first take and pass a written examination and physical ability test. All initial written and physical ability testing for entry level candidates is conducted by Public Safety Testing, Inc. (PST). Visit their website at www.publicsafetytesting.com for instructions on how to get started. Test dates are available on a continuous basis; check the PST website for test schedule and locations, or call 1-866-447-3911 if you don't have access to the Internet. Applications will not be accepted from individuals who have not successfully passed both the written examination and physical ability test.
Qualified applicants will be contacted by Thurston County Civil Service with further instructions as needed.
THURSTON COUNTY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER