Thurston County Sheriff's Office - Olympia, Washington
Jan 18, 2022
- Application Deadline:
- Dec 31, 2026
- Entry Level:
- $$4,866.00 - $6,211.00 monthly
- Top Pay:
- $$6,211.00 monthly
- Receives, searches, books, fingerprints, and photographs of incoming prisoners. Issues jail uniforms, records and stores personal effects, and houses inmates by appropriate classification.
- Maintains jail security by observation of inmates, pat searches, strip searches, and cell searches. Maintains orderly conduct and discipline.
- Assures that inmates have access to basic needs for hygiene and welfare.
- Prepares and delivers prisoners to court, doctors' offices, hospitals, and other locations. Transfers prisoners to and from jail and court. Releases prisoners by established procedures or bail, court order, or other authority.
- Logs court disposition of cases. Writes reports and maintains files.
- Screens and processes visitors. Processes personal property brought to inmates and released.
- Assigns and directs work of trustees. Distributes meals to all inmates, assuring that all materials are removed from cells after meals.
- Advises superior when medical attention appears necessary and maintains physical safety of prisoners. Administers prescribed medications.
- Monitors video and audio surveillance equipment and other job-related equipment.
- Receives incoming telephone calls to the department, relaying them as appropriate. Communicate appropriately on the telephone.
- Attends training and shift meetings. Applies job-related knowledge, skills, and abilities on duty.
- Responds to and assists with major or minor disturbances, medical crisis situations, escapes, fire, and other natural disasters.
- Prepares reports, memos, logbook entries, and unit rosters. This is accomplished through handwritten, typed, and computer terminal entries.
Performs related work as required.
Contact Person: Wayne Jones, Assistant Chief Examiner, (360) 786-5249. Email: ++email@example.com++. Corrections Recruiter: Corrections Deputy Yvonne Edwards, (360) 490-7248. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
++For more information on: ++
Why Applications Are Rejected
Pre-Employment Screening Standards
Standards of Physical Fitness - Corrections Deputy
++Go to:++ http://www.co.thurston.wa.us/sheriffjob/current-openings.htm
This position is:
- Represented by a Union
- Eligible for the following benefits; Medical, Dental, Vision, Life insurance, Dependent Coverage, Pension plans, Deferred Compensation, Paid Leave, Holiday pay, Military Leave (21 Days), Long Term Disability, Employee Assistance Program, and other miscellaneous benefits.
- Eligible for overtime under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)
HOW TO APPLY: In order to be considered for employment, interested individuals must first take and pass a written examination and physical ability test. All initial written and physical ability testing for entry-level candidates is conducted by Public Safety Testing, Inc. (PST). Visit their website at ++www.publicsafetytesting.com++ for instructions on how to get started. Test dates are available on a continuous basis; check the PST website for test schedules and locations or call 1-866-447-3911 if you don't have access to the Internet. Applications will not be accepted from individuals who have not successfully passed both the written examination and physical ability test.
Qualified applicants will be contacted by Thurston County Civil Service with further instructions as needed.
THURSTON COUNTY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
- Age: 21 and over
- Education: High School/ GED
- Experience: None Required
- Must have a High School Diploma or G.E.D.
- Must be a US Citizen with the ability to read, write, and speak the English language as required by RCW 41.14.100.
- Minimum age of 21 years at the time of appointment.
- Must hold or obtain a valid Washington State Driver's license.
- Must meet Thurston County Civil Service ++Pre-Employment Screening Standards++.
- Acceptable scores on Civil Service skills examinations.
- Must meet the Sheriff's Office employment standards and be willing to submit to and pass a thorough background investigation to include a polygraph examination and psychological evaluation.
- Must meet the current physical standards adopted by the Sheriff's Office.