Reality training: How can this inmate's head dive affect you?
This inmate takes a dive off his bunk into the toilet -- is he just being dumb or could he be planning something more?
By C1 Staff
This video shows a slightly wobbly inmate climb to the top of his bunk and take a head dive straight into his toilet. What could have possessed this inmate to perform this dive? Take a look at the video and then rejoin us below for some questions to get the conversation started.
- What are the intentions of inmates when they are locked up?
- Does this inmate want: sympathy in a trip to the emergency room and possible escape? Sympathy from medical and mental health staff? From the court?
- Is it possible that this inmate wanted to superficially injure himself and then assault an officer or take a hostage?
- Would this motto apply to this or similar situations: Desperate people do desperate things.
- What is the danger of this inmate’s miscalculation? Is there staff liability?
- Should officers be creative in their rounds of segregated inmates, such as ‘backtracking’, surprise cell inspections with back up, or checking very frequently?